Thursday, March 11, 2010

ocs: day 5

I can't believe he's nearing the end of Week 1. I pray that today went well for him and that he's not feeling terribly discouraged. Word on the street is that it's pretty intense.

If you have not made your DI's acquaintance by now, today will be the day.
Be prepared. It will be loud, stressful and he will RPT (push, flutter kicks,
bear crawl, curl ups, etc) you a lot. You will do nothing right and you will
never move fast enough. His requests will be impossible. Let there be no
mistake, today will be one of the more unpleasant days at OCS. However, it is a
"weeding out" process implemented to break those who really do not want to be
Naval Officers. Push, be loud and put forth effort and the day will end before
you know it. Just remember that it does get better.

The evening will be spent doing busy work, being yelled at and doing plenty of RPT. Get used to the RPTsessions because it will be a common occurrence at OCS. Also, try not to worry about the RPT sessions because your body will adjust to them over time. Not only will your DI and possibly even your Class Chief Petty Officer RPT you, but you will get RPT'd by other DIs as well. At the risk of sounding redundant, keep your head in the game and take nothing personally. No matter what is said, these people know nothing about you nor are they saying anything different than what they said to the Candidate Officers when they first arrived. Always remember that they will salute you at the end of OCS.

So that's that. I'm aching for a phone call on Sunday. I have so many questions after this first week. I'm worried about him, but only because I don't want him to be uncomfortable (as I'm sure he is).

It's strange, though. I find myself wondering if his strength and his spirit are still in tact, but I never think that he won't get through this. He's so committed to this and the opportunity that it's giving us, that I know he'll follow through. I'm so thankful that the Lord has provided me with husband like him and that He's given me the courage neither doubt Him or Andrew. This would be a completely different story if any of that was missing. God is good in the good and not so good, no?

1 friends said...:

  1. I feel the same way--it makes me really uncomfortable to think of all the junk he's having to do, but at the same time, I feel like Andrew was made for this kind of thing. He's so good at looking at situations rationally and focusing on the end result.

    I made my kids write about being in boot camp today. It was really funny to see how shocked some of them were that people are forced to run a lot and sleep in the same room with a bunch of other people. Most of their stories ended in quitting or outsmarting their CO's so they wouldn't have to deal with the life. I have NO doubt that Andrew will do the opposite and succeed with aplomb!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...