Monday, April 19, 2010

homey things

I had another girls weekend, only this time it was with my fabulous mother-in-law and sister-in-law. The project? Redecorate Andrew's old bedroom so that it's a little less 14-year old boy, but still has the Andrew vibe. Basically, we just needed to preserve all of the artifacts he's collected throughout the years, but take down the Michael Jordan posters. After a rather successful trip to IKEA, all parties were pleased. I even emailed Andrew a picture of the finished product and got his thumbs up during our email exchange on Sunday.

But clearly, any trip to IKEA leads to master plans of redecoration for any gal, especially this one who is about to have the blank canvas that comes with moving. So here's our plan: take all of the furniture and bed linens from our bedroom and use it in a real life guest bedroom. It will be very Charleston-esque, in colors of marigold and brown and something akin to steamed milk. And there will always be fresh flowers on the nightstand for the guests we have. My mom always did that when I came home during college and it's the most inviting thing in the world. You're going to love it.

But all of this means that we get to redo our own bedroom. First things first: buy a grown-up bedroom suite. Then comes the fun part. I found my inspiration piece back in January - a beautiful fabric called Asian Willow Sage. I came across it the day I got my sewing machine and was with my MIL getting all the goodies to go with it. It was one of those rare moments when I knew I'd regret leaving the store without it. So with no idea how I would use it, I got several yards. We'll see how it manifests itself in our new room, but here's the direction I want to take it...


I don't know about you, but this makes me feel happy and relaxed. That should be your aim when decorating a bedroom, no? I can't wait to see it in real life and share the pictures so you can be jealous. Not really, but I will brag. I just have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...