Tuesday, November 27, 2012

my beautiful new kitchen!

I finally got around to taking pictures of our (mostly) finished kitchen and I figured I'd show you before it gets all Christmas-y up in here. But before we get started, let's just take a look at what we had when we got here:

   
It was teeny. There was no counter space. There were green counter tops. And now...NOW!







Can you believe it? 

The storage! The counter space! The pretty glass-front cabinets!

There are still a few things to do, like add crown molding to finish off the space between the cabinets and the ceiling. I also want to make a window treatment and whiten the grout. New floors aren't in the budget, but I can at least brighten them up a bit. So far, we're loving the butcher block counters. I think they're beautiful and they're holding up very well. And the IKEA cabinets are great. They're so well-made and functional. I would absolutely recommend them.

For the back splash, we spent a total of $50. Beadboard, baby! We just cut the pre-primed paneling to size and painted it in Valspar's Carolina Inn Club Aqua. I love it because it reminds me of Chapel Hill and because it's exactly the color I had in my mind. It's like a smoky blue-green. Perfect.

I'm not lying when I say that I fix my coffee in the morning and just stand there, looking around and smiling. I love it.

Can you believe how far we've come?

10 friends said...:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love EVERYTHING about this kitchen! It looks so sunny and happy! Maybe you've mentioned this before, but did you install the Ikea counters and cabinets yourself or did you hire a contractor? And can you give some more details on how you did the backsplash? $50 is so cheap! OBSESSED. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginna! We ended up hiring out most of the work, minus the demo and a few other finishing touches. With Andrew's schedule, there was no way we could pull it off ourselves. I'll probably do a follow-up post to talk more about those things! Backsplash included :) It was so super easy!

      Delete
  2. i'm DROOLING. now excuse me while i go pray for forgiveness for coveting. goodness GRACIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen this kitchen up close and personal and it's better than it looks,
    Nanny Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I would stand around grinning with coffee-in-hand, too.

    Miss you girl! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha! I might also have done the same thing if I saw my kitchen like that in the morning. :P Your kitchen has transformed from simple to extravagant, Page. Spending $50 for the backsplash was worth it.

    Randell Jeffries

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Randell! With this transformation, I can’t see any hint of how your kitchen looked like before. I’m glad that your kitchen is now free of clutter! I can even feel its very inviting aura!

    -Anthony Selby

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...