Wednesday, February 22, 2012

stay-at-home (fill in the blank)


DSC_0006

First, let me say this: I'm so thankful that I can stay home with my son.

It was something I started thinking about the day I found out I was pregnant. I was blessed to have a job where I could work from home, but that set-up also meant that I was pretty much stuck where I was - there wouldn't be any moving up or change of pace in any way. So while I enjoyed what I was doing, it was starting to feel a little too routine for my taste. I didn't feel fulfilled by it anymore.

Which meant that if I continued working, it would be mostly for the paycheck. Thankfully, even though it's taken some major adjustment, Andrew's paycheck is enough to sustain our little family. So the decision was made.

In full disclosure, there are days when I miss it. I miss the work clothes and the meetings and the being around adults and feeling like I was good at something. But then I think about all the ways I can watch Jack learn and grow firsthand and I feel so, so blessed. So there's that. 

But here's the real story about being a stay-at-home mom: I hate that term. 

Stay-at-home mom. 
SAHM. 
I'm just a mom who stays at home. 

Except I'm NOT.

There's a lot more that goes on around here than just being a mom. I don't hang out in my mom jeans with unshowered hair and talk to my baby all day. I do a lot of the obvious: cleaning, laundry, cooking. 

But I also manage the finances. And make appointments. And coordinate schedules so we can take care moving stuff. Etc, etc, etc.

But also. I'm not a stay-at-home MOM. I'm not a stay-at-home WIFE. As much as I love being a mom and a wife, I don't recall leaving my identity at the altar or in the hospital room where Jack was born. So maybe I'm a stay-at-home Page?

I kind of like the term household manager

I feel like that does a better job of accurately describing what I do all day. It feels more official. Or something, I don't know, but I'm not a SAHM.

People. This is serious. What am I??

11 friends said...:

  1. first of all, your dad's comment is the sweetest thing, and two, i like your thoughts. on the verge of being a stay at home mom, right now i'm a stay at home pregnant wife (well, minus a couple nights of work at a part time job).

    i would agree that sahm is a little skewed because for me too. my priorities should be this: my relationship with christ, THEN my marriage, THEN my kids. which makes the term stay at home mom really misleading.

    maybe a "worshipper of christ who manages her husbands household and happens to take care of kids too". that one doesn't quite as neatly turn into an acronym. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? He's the sweetest.

      Love your thoughts on this. I keep reminding myself to all things as if for the Lord himself, but also not to get too Martha-ish along the way. We should totally come up with a cooler acronym :)

      Delete
  2. I like household manager too! Or super woman ... Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there was a "love" button for your dad's comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds very important. Just say you are a Domestic Engineer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being a "household manager". I have never really liked being called a SAHM because people jump to the conclusion that I stay in my pajamas all day and watch soap operas (which couldn't be further from the truth). Honestly, I think I work harder than my husband does lol.

    I also think Superwoman is a great job description as well because I feel like my house (as far as cleaning, appointment setting, and finances) would just fall apart without me lol.

    BTW, I love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...