Sunday, July 4, 2010

free

I'll be the first to admit that "patriotic" is not a word I've ever used to describe myself. I'm absolutely proud to be a member of this country and I've even teared up a time or two during the national anthem thinking about how blessed we are to call this place home. But I never really stopped to think about everything it's taken to have something to be proud of.

The second Andrew left for OCS, I immediately felt differently about the freedoms we experience here. In an instant, the most precious person in my world was gone from me and the casual joys we enjoyed, pursuing a career that would turn our lives upside down so that others could live theirs without fear or hindrances. At graduation, the part of Andrew's oath that most struck me was when they said that they take the obligation freely. He always said that when he had doubts about this, he reminded himself that someone has to do it and there's no reason it shouldn't be us. By the way, I can follow this man anywhere, because I know his motivations are pure. Hallelujah for that.

I guess what I'm saying is that this new life for us has opened my eyes to a lot. And on this day when everyone is quick to thank those that preserve freedom to the rest of us, I pray that it's something that is never far from my mind. It's a sacrifice bigger than anyone can imagine, when you really think about it. And I'm proud to know someone who's willing to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...