Friday, May 21, 2010

she works hard for the money

Today was my last day at McKinney. Kind of.

I started at McKinney 2+ years ago, fresh out of college and a new wife of just two weeks. I had no idea what I was doing, no idea how to have a real job and no idea what the real world was like. Fast forward to now and I have to say that I'm lucky to have found this place.

There were definitely days/nights/weekends/weeks/months where I was borderline miserable, only because I was so consumed by my work that I would have dreams about PowerPoint and Excel. There have been times when I'd go home just long enough to sleep, leaving Andrew to eat Malt-o-Meal (ew) for dinner. But I can say with certainty that when things were good, I really did love my job.

And the good news? I don't have to leave it. McKinney has agreed to let me stay on full time, working from Charleston. Obviously there are check points in place so that if either party isn't happy with the arrangement, we can deal with it appropriately, but I can't believe I landed this opportunity. I was almost so overwhelmed by the thought of having to find a job in Charleston that I just didn't want to do anything about it. Queue God and His quirky ways of blessing me when I don't deserve it. The reality is that if it weren't for that husband of mine, I wouldn't have a reason to leave, so this is really the perfect set up.

The downside is that I am absolutely a people person and I will SO miss the collaboration and conversation that I got to enjoy in the office. I loved being able to chat with a coworker for 10 minutes when my brain was strained from working on the same project all afternoon. Or having a friend to grab lunch with when I left mine on the kitchen counter. Or having someone to walk with when I wanted coffee in the morning. But I'm sure I'll back from time to time for various reasons (it's part of the deal) and I look forward to that.

For now, you can find me at the sunny Charleston branch. And you better believe I've been daydreaming about how to decorate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...