Friday, December 31, 2010

wait, it's new year's eve?

I'm telling you, folks, twelve days of travel makes for a bit of a chaotic/discombobulated return. I still haven't unpacked my suitcase. I've only done one load of laundry. We bought milk from the grocery store and that was it. We've slept A LOT. Until about 3pm today, I couldn't have told you what day of the week it was if my life depended on it. Out.of.control.

And while I know you're biting your nails to the quick in anticipation of the NYC and Christmas play-by-play, I'm not ready to roll that out yet. I'm still hoarding those memories in my mind. Pondering them in my heart, if you will.

What I will share with you, however, are our 2011 goals. We refuse to make resolutions because we always let ourselves down. But we LOVE working toward goals, so we're structuring it this way instead. Tricky, I know.

This time last year, Andrew was laid up on the couch with a broken toe, his adoring wife waiting on him hand and foot. We watched movies and ate appetizers and the popping of the champagne cork frightened Rudy and gave him the hiccups. We were 6 weeks away from his OCS departure and I don't think either of us could have prepared ourselves for the year ahead. And yet, here we are.

Tucking what we've learned in our back pocket, here's what we're aiming for in 2011:

Page
  • Be more active (because endorphins make you happy)
  • Dry my hair, put on makeup and wear real clothes at least 3 times during the work week (because Andrew shouldn't have to come home to a ponytail and yoga pants every evening)
  • Find a way to study the scripture more heartily
  • Leave the house at least twice a week, to work from Starbucks or Panera (cabin fever + yoga pants Page = Andrew's worst nightmare)
  • Record more of this adventure, in words and photos
Andrew
  • Work out more, possibly in preparation for dive school
  • Leave school for at least an hour a day to rest the ol' noodle (step away from the Power School)
  • Read more of the bible
Page + Andrew
  • Spend at least one evening a week and some time over the weekend unplugged (no computers, phone, tv, etc)
  • Study the same scripture/read the same book and then make time to discuss
  • Get serious about saving money and making some long-term goals for our family
  • Start keeping a food journal (this was Andrew's idea - surprised?)
Not too shabby, eh?

Now if you'll excuse me, we have a good bottle of wine, comfy PJs and some 24 to catch up on. It's the best New Year's Eve celebration I could imagine.

Happy 2011.

1 friends said...:

  1. 1. I'm glad you're working out. That means you have a smaller chance of becoming the serial killer in the family.
    2. I love your dog.
    3. I'm jealous of your photography skills and readiness.
    4. I hear "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge is a great book...
    5. How am I supposed to contact you if BOTH of you have your phones and computers off for a WHOLE EVENING?!
    6. Is there some way I can get your Etsy button to put on my blog, too?
    7. You should look into a 403b or the NC 529 college savings plan (check on eligibility). I like my 403b.
    8. Does Andrew not like cabin fever/yoga Page because he doesn't like to take you out like that?
    9. Did you ever finish your "how I became a Mrs." story?
    10. Don't forget to include "summer travels with Laura" in your long-term plans.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...