Saturday, July 13, 2013

operation shower

The post and pictures I promised I'd share from a month ago! Lucky you! 
All of the pictures are from the Operation Shower Facebook page, taken by Sassy Mouth Photos.





Back in June I was invited to attend Operation Shower, a non-profit that hosts baby showers for moms whose husbands are deployed. I didn't know much about it when I got the invitation but I spent approximately three seconds on their website before I decided that I would absolutely not be missing it. And it was on my birthday! If I couldn't spend it with my husband, being showered with extravagant gifts for baby brother would be a fine substitute.

It was at a fancy pants PGA golf course near Hartford and there were tons of media (including Hilaria Baldwin from Extra!) and the whole thing was just kind of surreal. For two hours, we were literally handed one amazing gift after another. There was fantastic food and pretty centerpieces and everyone who spoke was just so appreciative of what military families are doing. I try not to complain about Andrew being gone for this pregnancy, because it could be a lot worse, but it is kind of a bummer. I start the third trimester next week and he hasn't heard the baby's heartbeat, felt him move or been able to see Jack pat my belly and say "Hey baby!" And to have people recognize that and do something to make you feel loved while you deal with all of that is a really special thing. I'll never take it for granted.



And the loot, you guys. It was unbelievable. I drove away with a high chair, a bath tub, a Mamaroo, a stroller, an Ergo, a Petunia Pickle Bottom diaper bag and a box full of other random goodies like toys, books, cloths, diapers and bottles. It was amazing. I really still can't believe how generous they all were.

Not bad for my 27th birthday, eh? And because two girls whose husbands serve on the same boat as Andrew were there to volunteer, I even got to celebrate it with friends!


So, a big gigantic thank you to everyone who pulled this off...from the person who nominated me for it to the guy who loaded my car. It was such a special day and it'll be fun to tell this little guy about how he was loved so well by strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...