Thursday, October 22, 2009

i want to be a doer

For some reason, that has hit me hard this week - in several different ways. A few years ago, a guest pastor at our church quoted an author who wrote:


I despaired at the thought that my life might pass me by without God moving greatly on my behalf.

Most days, that's exactly how I feel. But I tuck that thought away believing that I have to get to a certain point in life before I can live radically enough to let that happen. Lame, I know. But I'm just being honest.

So I was reminded of that quote this week when I found Donald Miller's new book at Barnes and Noble, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. I haven't started reading it yet, but I'm sure it'll be fabulous, per usual. Basically, it's about how people set out with intentions of doing great things with their life, but then find that they've only done ordinary things. And what if we really did to what we intended?
So in light of the "do it" inspiration I've received this week, here's a list of what I want to do:
  • Love Jesus so much that it makes me love everyone around me. Regardless of whether or not I like them.
  • Be a healthy eater.
  • Start a Christmas tradition of anonymously leaving dinner/presents for a family in the community.
  • Be a completely selfless wife.
  • Travel to places that make me aware of the world outside of my little one.
  • Adopt a little girl from China and name her after my grandmother.
  • Have a home that my kids' friends feel comfortable and loved in.
  • Teach my kids to love Jesus so much that it makes them love everyone around them.
  • Never stop learning.
  • Experience things that are outside my comfort zone.
  • Love on kids who aren't being loved on.
  • Always be filled with joy.

Those are my musings for now. Do with them what you wish...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...